Monday, May 14, 2012

Look at us grow

We recently finished up our plant/seed unit.  I must admit we have some pretty green thumbs in here.  I was thrilled because I never seem to have much luck when it comes to plants.  We made a tree map to write about things plants have, need, and are.  I loved this tree map from a Spring Math and Literacy Unit by Kim Adsit (find it here). 


We read several stories about growing some pretty large vegetables and fruit.  One was The Carrot Seed and the other was The Enormous Carrot.  We created these story maps to help us retell them. 

We read a book that was written by a Kindergarten class just like us called The Farmer's Huge Carrot.  It made us want to be authors too!  In writing, we made a bubble map of all of the synonyms for "big" and created our own stories about rather large plants.  I was extremely impressed with our group's stories.  
We learned all about the things that plants need in order to grow.  We labeled the different parts of a plant and where they grow. 



We wanted to know if seeds would grow without soil so we planted some seeds in a plastic glove.  We soaked a few cotton balls and put one in each finger of the glove.  Then, we carefully placed the seed on top.  We hung them in the window to get sunlight.  We made sure not to close up the top of the glove.  We were amazed to see our seeds begin to grow.  It was so cool to watch the roots grow down as the stem and leaves sprouted up! 





 We made thumbprint flowers with stems of varying heights and compared them.  I think they all thought I had lost my mind when I asked them to color on their fingers!  

To finish out the week we made grass buddies!  They are finally growing a bit!




No comments:

Post a Comment