Sunday, November 11, 2012

Pumpkins and stuff

One of the days I will get caught up...at least that is what I keep telling myself.  I think I need to designate a student photographer as one of my weekly jobs.  I am always so caught up in what we are doing, I forget to pick up the camera and take pics of what we are doing.  I want to give parents a window into what we are doing in the classroom, but have not found the right balance/combination of how to get the pictures taken.  We'll see...

Here are a few pictures that I was able to snap of some of the fun we had with pumpkins. 
We used our class pumpkin to complete a pumpkin investigation.  We described the inside and outside.  We practiced estimating and counting using the lines and the seeds.  We had heard that the number of lines on a pumpkin is related to the quantity of seeds inside.  We had 26 lines on our pumpkin and 458 seeds.  We checked with the other classrooms and we all had lines in the 20s and seeds in the 500s.  Interesting...


Counting seeds


Measuring circumference 


We made 3D pumpkins and labeled the parts.
 
We learned about the life cycle of a pumkin. 
 

We read Pumpkinheads and made our own silly pumpkin faces.  I saw these on a blog last year and thought they were just too cute not to do.  They look so awesome with our owls. 
 
We read The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything and created a brace map for the parts of a scarecrow.  We used this activity to help us retell the story. 
 
Here is a song we listened to about the story.  The kids loved it!!
 
 


We visited the computer lab and used Kid Pix to create a picture of a pumpkin patch.  We learned how to use several of the drawing tools and the text tool to label our illlustration.  This was our first experience with Kid Pix and the kids did a phenomenal job.





Here are a few examples of our storybook character pumpkins.  Everyone did such an amazing job with these.  I loved them all (but of course forgot to take pictures until the kids were getting ready to walk out the door with them)!! I wish I had more photos of  all of the projects because they truly were outstanding. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment